I’m nearly one week “postfair” now.
Like postpartum, but different.
Well, not all that different really.
Similarities can be drawn between the two. In both instances, you plan and prepare, you
nurse something along and grow it until it makes its shining debut to the
world. You hope everything goes smoothly
and wonder if you’re really ready for all this.
A fair and a kid really aren’t that different when you think about it.
That being said, a fair is a fair is a fair is a fair. It doesn’t matter where it is held, they are
all the same. There are still kids and
animals, projects that impress, food and rides, and of course, drama. I have experienced a county fair in just
about every capacity one can experience a county fair – as a spectator, as an
exhibitor, as a judge, and now as an administrator/management. Each time and in each varying capacity you
observe something different and learn something new.
As an exhibitor I cannot tell you anything that happens at any given
fairgrounds if it occurs more than 100’ from the dairy barn, or is not on the
direct route to the parking lot from the barns.
People come through the barns and ask all the time, “where is ____?” They always stare back with shock and guffaw
when I say I have no clue. No lie, last
year was the first time since I was 10 years old that I leisurely strolled
around the Western Washington State Fairgrounds just to take it all in. And after I had, I looked at the friend I was
with and said something to the effect of, “well that was a first… and probably
a last.” As a judge, I head straight for
the ring, get the job done, probably grab a burger or a scone (more Wisconsin’s
drastic oversight in omitting the Fair Scone from their festivities later), and
head home.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy a good fair. I love every single thing that a county fair
stands for and what it represents – food, friends, kids, families, etc. It’s just that I’m pretty much just there for
the cows, not the crowds.
Having made it through my first county fair as an administrator, I have
to say, it was an interesting experience to observe a fair from the
inside. I was involved in every aspect
of the fair, not just the animals this time.
I felt 110% comfortable handling questions or disputes and offering
advice and guidance in the livestock realm, but wow, get me over to handle the
pocket pets (how exactly do you
display snakes, bearded dragons, rats, and hamsters in the same area without
causing some kind of critter to have a heart attack and another to lick its
lips??) or to decipher how one evaluates a bucket of silage or a knitted hat
and I am lost.
But let’s focus back to the livestock side of things. Let’s go where I’m comfy… Watching these kids work with their animals, don
their whites or show jeans, drag themselves in a little slower and slower (and
perhaps a little later and later) each morning to do what they love was like
watching our kids at home. Let’s be
honest. It doesn’t matter where you are,
these kids are one in the same. They are
hard workers. They are spunky and
compassionate, they know right from wrong, they know juuuuust how hard to push
something or someone before it’s time to high-tail it back to the barn. They know how to have a good time, that a
straw pack is the best place for a nap, and that the wash rack on a hot Sunday afternoon
is a dangerous place to be. They know
that the bedding goes down and the heifers are washed and fed before you even
think about breakfast. They all know
that a purple ribbon is the best pay-off for their efforts, but the older kids
know that a third or fourth blue can be just as important as a rosette if they
had fun, and the really wise older kids know that if they can teach another kid
or be a role model, a mid-level blue is juuuust fine.
| Junior champion Registered Holstein. Oh yes, they have such a big 4-H show, they split it up into Registered and Grade, and Dane County is just an average-sized 4-H show out here. |
Part of my job included coordinating the Master Showman contest
(Wisconsin’s version of Round Robin for you Washingtonians who read that and
went “huh” – just like I did the first time).
We needed to refresh the shavings in the ring, move some chairs around,
set up all the awards and paperwork, etc.
Now, Wisconsin apparently does not believe in shavings unless they come
in a bag. Baled shavings are da bomb
apparently. So, as we’re schlepping
bales of shavings around the arena, up comes a couple kids. “Need a hand??” “Sure, thanks,” I responded and watched as
these two kids, probably no more than 8 and 12, already hot and sweaty, drug
bales around and spread out shavings right alongside us, smiling the whole time. “You let me know if you need anything else,”
said the youngest boy. “I’ll be right
over there with my sheep,” he said as he pointed in the general direction of approximately
50 lambs who all looked the same. THAT
is a 4-H kid right there; always willing to help, respectful, and a joy. But I digress…
As I sat and watched, tabulating scores and timing the rotations, I
couldn’t help but think back to my own experiences in Round Robin, and to more
recent years, watching the kids at Evergreen.
These showmen finished up their rounds, returned to their animals and
waited. I know that feeling oh-so-well,
wondering how you did and thinking back to that damn pig that wouldn’t stay out
of the corner.
We announce the results of our Master Showman from the bottom up, and
each kid gets a cash award. Names were
called, and soon there were just two… the beef showman and the swine
showman. Then the beef girl’s name was
announced, and the whole crowd knew the swine boy had won. A cheer went up from the crowd, a grin
covered his face, and he was handed a trophy the size of a small child. But that’s not the cool part. The best part of the whole afternoon was when
the other four showmen, still holding on to their respective animals with one
hand, smothered him in one ginormous group hug.
This wasn’t a little hug out of formality. This was a full-on, smothering, giggling,
squealing, animals looking on with a “what in the…” look on their faces, pure
glee, hug. These kids were genuinely happy for that boy. It oozed from them.
Watching this, I couldn’t help but think of the image of the dairy kids
after Round Robin at Evergreen. It
started one year after a dairy kid had won, and he was hoisted upon the shoulders
of his peers, as his friends gathered round, and posed for a picture. This tradition continued for a handful of
years, and was a mandatory pose before everyone dispersed for the following barn
put-luck dinner. These WI kids are no
different from those WA kids or any other 4-H kids across the country… they learn life lessons, form friendships and
bonds stronger than steal, and have life experiences that will stick with them
for the rest of their lives.
Each fair has little things that make it unique, but really, they’re
all the same, and honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment