I've kind of thought about what home really is over the past few months. There's the home where we live. We go there every night after work or school and we make it our own. Our hometowns (it has the word right in it) or where we grew up will always be "home". When we go back to visit, I think a lot of us naturally say we're going home for a while.
Washington will always be home for me. I just snuck back for a quick visit last week, and it was
![]() |
| Mt. St. Helens on the approach to Sea-Tac |
It's rare that I settle somewhere and it all feel right so fast. I never did feel at home in Ohio, Brattlerboro grew on me, but not instantly (it is still one of my favorite places though), it even took some time to settle into Pullman. Friends and family back home may not like this, but Madison, Wisconsin, the Midwest instantly felt like home.
A good friend asked me last week if now that I was back home, if I truly missed it and didn't want to come back to Wisconsin. The follow up to that was an inquiry into how long I thought I saw myself in this new job, and if maybe I'd head back to Washington when my time was up at Expo.
![]() |
| The road to my adorable little neighborhood |
The Midwest truly does feel like home now. I have always sorta felt like a Midwestern farm kid stuck in a Western farm kid's body. Things out here are just different, and the people are too. They're welcoming and friendly. Seriously... how many of you have ever started a new job and had a coworker, whom you have never met, offer to let you live with them for as long as you need to until you find a place??
I kind of feel like I've rambled a bit with this post, but here's the long and short of it, I'm home. And I'm happy to be here.


I've been meaning to comment on this! I totally get where you're coming from and sometimes feel like I was meant to live somewhere else....although most places I visit I know right away don't feel like home. :) Your "new" home looks like a beautiful place!
ReplyDeleteThanks Emily. I really do love The Valley... it's where I've spent a majority of my life, but there's just something about WI that's different.
Delete